THE ARTS OF FASHION FOUNDATION COMPETITION 2021
THE ARTS OF FASHION FOUNDATION COMPETITION 2021
To participate to the international Arts of Fashion Competition 2021 applicants should register online. The application fee is $50 for the Fashion or Accessory category. After confirmation of registration each applicant should submit a file of drawings/illustrations of a mini collection of 3 outfits in menswear, womenswear or a mixed collection of both menswear and womenswear or 3 accessories.
The theme 2021 is - MOMENTUM - this word covers what we all experience right now worldwide and how will we use this unique moment in time to rethink, redefine, and redraw our way of life, the way we interact with others and therefore the way we dress. You can also interprete the theme from your own experience, or imagination.
- Please read carefully the regulations below and remember that the AoFF Competition is open to students registered in a School or University during the year 2020/2021.
- When a first student from an institution registered, the name of his/her School or University appears on the AoF website page of the competition. The main criteria for being part of the first 50 selected are truly creativity in Fashion design and concept, as well as a well-crafted project and originality.
- When the first jury meets, samples of fabric/material are also highly important in the student file. This is why we do not accept file submission online.
With regards to the rise of design competitions being increasingly managed by fashion businesses and their communication offices for commercial gains, the Arts of Fashion Foundation is proud to assure students that the Arts of Fashion competition has been organized by a group of volunteers and designers for more than 19 years with no commercial motives.
This unique competition is dedicated solely to celebrate emerging designers and their creativity.
- Student work is protected and therefore not in view, nor is sold to trend offices and design studios.
- Students don't give up the intellectual property rights of their designs when they participate in the competition of the Arts of Fashion Foundation.
- Student projects received are judged by a carefully selected jury of fashion design professors who travel on their own budget.
- The 50 selected students - finalists - compete for scholarships allowing them to participate to the unique MasterClasses and apprenticeships with creative studios around the world. Their work is presented in front of carefully selected jury of fashion professionals in San Francisco, VIP guests and long time volunteers and local partners including the San Francisco French American International School and the Asian Art Museum.
The Arts of Fashion is dedicated to bringing the best sources of education and research to students and designers. Please check editions from the past years.
By filling out this form, I declare to have read the general conditions for participation as well as the rules & regulations of the competition below and I agree to abide by them fully.
Link to the PDF Flyer to download and print - Credit Fashion image 2021 to come.
1.THE ARTS OF FASHION COMPETITION EXISTS TO:
Promote and reward creativity and inventiveness; discover emerging talent and facilitate careers; establish enriching contacts and exchanges between different countries, schools and universities; and to foster new relationships between those from different industries and fields.
The 2021 first laureates will receive Awards and a Certification for their creative and original work based on theme. (Judging based on coherence with the theme and originality, creativity and artful expressiveness, innovation and craft)
Maison Lesage - Paris
4-week internship at the studio of Maison Lesage - Paris, FRANCE
Maison Lemarie - Paris
4-week internship at the studio of Maison Lemarie - Paris, FRANCE
Maison Montex - Paris
4-week internship at the studio of Maison Montex - Paris, FRANCE
Arora - New Delhi Award
2-month internship at Manish Arora - New Delhi, INDIA
Arts of Fashion Foundation Awards
4-week scholarship at the Arts of Fashion MasterClass program hosted at Les Arts Decoratifs - Paris, FRANCE
2. THEME 2021 - MOMENTUM
- April 1, 2021: Deadline to mail your design proposal in a study cardboard envelope - post marked. Send it as documents and do not declare any value because it is not commercial - otherwisw you will have to pay taxes and your package may be delayed at customs.
- mid May, 2021 (TBA): Jury session hosted at the Cristobal Balenciaga Museoa at Getaria, Spain. Selected candiates for the International Final will be listed on the Arts of Fashion website in the following days of the jury session.
- mid September 15, 2021: Submission deadline for all selected projects to be received at the Arts of Fashion Foundation in San Francisco
- mid December, 2021: Arts of Fashion Symposium Competition & Awards Ceremony 2020 hosted at the Asian Art Musem of San Francisco.
4. GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR PARTICIPATION 2021:
competition is open to students studying Fashion, Art and Design anywhere in
the world during the academic year 2020-2021. Participants will not only
represent themselves, but also their Schools, Colleges or Universities,
as well as their Countries.
- Candidates must be current students and cannot be professionally employed in the fashion industry at the time of the submission of their project.
- Candidates must design their own original projects completely by themselves.
- Candidates must follow the design and specifications outlined in their application for realization of their final project.
- Registration must be submitted on an individual basis and in the chosen categories.
- Online registration, applications, and final projects received after the deadlines will not be accepted. Registration fees are non refundable.
- Projects selected in the International Final of December 2021 cannot be presented in another competition during the year 2021.
5. RULES & REGULATIONS FOR THE ARTS OF FASHION COMPETITION 2021:
Online registration: the registration fee is $50 for one category, Fashion or Accessories. Each candidate needs to design a capstone collection of 3 models : The application materials should be completed as listed below.
- 1 page for the 3 illustrations or plan of collection
- 1 page for each silhouette - illustration
- 1 page for each silhouette - flats/technical designs
- 1 page for the fabric and material swatches (no photocopy)
- 1 page for the visual developed concept/ atmosphere/ mood board
- 1 page for the short written developped concept with a title in English
- 1 resume / CV of the applicant
- 1 student ID (photocopy) 2019-20 of the applicant
Format of each page: MUST BE – 8.5" x 11" or A4 / Letter – and on separate pages (do not try to bind or mount it or else) – name of the student and the school should be written on the back of each page with a very light pencil.
June 2021 (TBA): The candidates invited to continue on to the International Final will be announced on the AoFF website, along with instructions and specifications for completion of the final projects.
mid September, 2021: Deadline for all selected projects to be postmarked and mailed.
projects will not be accepted under any circumstances. It is
the candidates’ responsibility to arrange for verification of shipment
with their shipping company.
- The realization of the project should follow the instructions and measurements provided on the AoFF website (just below).
- Fashion projects should include shoes (US womenwear size 9-10 or European size 39-40 | US menswear size 12 or European size 44), and any particular stockings, undergarments, or accessories that the model should wear.
- Every outfit/look is requested be sent in a separate transparent garment bag (with your name and address written on it), appropriate hangers. One precise instruction page for each silhouette is requested in a plastic sleeve (photos can be added if necessary) to help the dressers. When sending your project from abroad please indicate that it is a student fashion project and do not add value. If you add value you are responsible for possible custom taxes.
Entries will be automatically disqualified from the competition for the following reasons:
- If the final project does not follow the design or specifications outlined in the candidate’s original application.
- If they are received after the deadline.
- If they may result in any copyright infringement or legal dispute for the jury, organizers, sponsors, or host university.
- If they pressure for preferential treatment by the jury members, the hosting university, the organizers, or sponsors of the competition.
Applications and Final Projects will be judged by experts and well-known professionals from fashion and design fields.
In all matters concerning the course of the competition, including the selection of award winners and settling disputes, the decisions of the judges are final. All matters will be decided by majority vote and are not subject to appeal. In case of a tie, the President of the Jury will cast the deciding vote. Candidates will be presented anonymously to the first round Jury (made by fashion professors and designers) by the competition organizers. Jury deliberations for the second round Jury in December (made by fashion professionals and designers) will not be made public.
7. PROTECTION OF WORK
Candidates maintain artistic ownership of their designs and final projects. By the act of participating in the Arts of Fashion Competition, candidates give permission to the organizers and sponsors to contact and promote them and their projects through a wide range of media: press, TV, internet, mailing, advertising, exhibitions, fashion show. When a project is selected in the first jury session 2021, it can not be presented in another international competition or event before the finals in December 2021. If an awarded project is exhibited or published in any media, mention of the Arts of Fashion Competition is required.
AMENDMENT SUSPENSION TERMINATION INSURANCE
In the event the AoFF Competition 2021 is suspended or terminated for any reason, the organizers, as well as the sponsors, will not be held responsible in any way. The Arts of Fashion Foundation and its members, volunteers, guests and instructors, and the host University or Institution will not in any way be responsible for any accident, damage or loss of the final projects or candidates’ belongings during the course of competition, including workshops, masterclass, conference, exhibition, transportation, and all events.
It is the responsibility of the participants to insure their submissions.
The Arts of Fashion Foundation is a San Francisco-based 501(c)(3), public, non-profit organization, linking both academics and professionals alike and is dedicated in fostering international cultural exchange through the creation of a variety of educational programs meant to facilitate critical thinking and advance the field of fashion among artists, designers, scholars and students.The primary focus of the foundation is the continuous support of creativity and design process in fashion and the arts linked to it.